Hot on the heels of Drupal 9 (D9) comes its successor, Drupal 10 (D10). D10 is set to be released in June 2022, a mere two years after the release of D9. For current Drupal 9 users, this won’t be a major overhaul of your current system, but it’s still important to review the details of the upgrade to prepare for this new version.
Also, it’s important to note that Drupal 10 has two fallback dates in August and December 2022. The release date may be pushed to one of these days if there are any roadblocks in the D10 rollout. Stay in the loop by signing up for the Drupal newsletter and keeping an eye on industry resources like Kanopi’s blog.
In this guide, we’ll cover everything you need to know about the Drupal 10 release, from what’s included in the update to how to prepare your website effectively.
We’re here to help you prepare for the Drupal 10 release. When you’re ready, reach out and we’ll work with you to come up with a plan.
Drupal 10 FAQs
When will Drupal 10 be released?
Drupal 10 is set to be released in June 2022, with fallback dates in August and December.
What is the latest Drupal version?
Drupal 9 is the latest version of Drupal, released in June 2020.
How long will Drupal 9 be supported?
Drupal 9 will be supported until November 2023. This coincides with the EOL (end of life) for Symfony 4, which is the framework upon which Drupal 9 is built.
What’s Included in Drupal 10
Unlike previous releases (like the transition from D7 to D8), Drupal 10 will not be a comprehensive overhaul. Instead, it will provide a variety of new or enhanced features, including:
- Improvements to the Layout Builder and Media Library features, offering greater out-of-the-box functionality.
- Enhanced decoupled developer and site builder experiences, with particular attention made to menus and URL handling.
- Replacing CKEditor 4 with CKEditor 5, facilitating a better authoring experience and modern editing tools.
- Replacing Symfony 4 with Symfony 5 or 6 and upgrading PHP from 7 to 8. PHP 8 is a significant update to the PHP scripting language.
These updates will make the Drupal platform easier to use while providing more advanced, state-of-the-art tools for developers to explore.
How to Prepare for the Drupal 10 Release Date
Depending on what version of Drupal you’re currently using, the process will vary when upgrading to Drupal 10:
- Drupal 7 users: Drupal 7 will reach its end of life in November 2022. While Drupal 10 will feature some tools to help upgrade from D7 to D10, it’s highly recommended to upgrade to D9 as soon as possible. By upgrading at the earliest possible time, you ensure your website stays updated with the latest features and security measures. Our guide to transitioning from Drupal 7 to 9 provides additional insight into this process.
- Drupal 8 users: Drupal 8’s end of life will occur on November 2, 2021, which is just around the corner. You’ll have to upgrade to Drupal 9 to be able to upgrade to Drupal 10 next year. The migration from D8 to D9 is generally straightforward, so it’s in your best interest to initiate this upgrade as soon as possible.
- Drupal 9 users: If you’re currently using Drupal 9, you’re in a strong position to start preparing for the release of D10. To position your site for a successful upgrade, keep your code updated and conduct ongoing site maintenance. For instance, with Kanopi’s ongoing support process, we run automated tests and checks on every code change, ensuring that we keep our code up to date with Drupal 10 development.
All Drupal users can join the dedicated Slack channel where the Drupal 10 readiness team hosts meetings every Monday at 6 p.m. GMT in the #d10readiness channel. If you’d like to stay updated on the latest D10 news, you can join the conversation and get your questions answered.
Working with a Technology Consultant
You might be doing all you can to keep your site updated and secure, but when it comes time to conduct a version upgrade, things can get more complicated. Plenty of web development and design firms (like Kanopi!) can help manage your website upgrades and ensure you’re in a strong position ahead of Drupal 10’s release.
Whether you’re currently working on D7, 8, or 9, technology consultants can help enhance your website with a variety of services. These professionals can:
- Conduct a technology assessment to determine the effectiveness of your website and digital strategies.
- Take your Drupal web design to the next level with enhanced visual and interactive design, improved accessibility, and streamlined page structures.
- Perform website maintenance and provide ongoing support.
- Manage your website’s upgrade to Drupal 9 and eventually Drupal 10.
Here at Kanopi, no project is too large or complex for our team of Drupal experts. Whether you’re looking to upgrade to Drupal 9, better maintain your site, or ensure you’re doing everything you can to prepare for Drupal 10, we’re here to help.
Each of our team members has, on average, 11 years of experience in Drupal Development, and several of them are Acquia-certified. We also are a supporting partner to the Drupal Association, regular contributors to the Drupal Project, and one of the main organizers of BADCamp, a Drupal-focused community event.
Interested in working with Kanopi to prepare your Drupal website for D10? Contact us today to get the conversation started.
- Drupal 7 to 9 Migration Planning Guide. Do you need to upgrade your Drupal 7 site to Drupal 9? This guide offers everything you need to know about the migration.
- Drupal 8 End-of-Life and Support: What’s Next? Are you a current Drupal 8 user? Here’s what the D8 end of life means for your website and how you can update your site.
- How (And Why) To Set Up Drupal Maintenance And Support. Ongoing maintenance ensures your website is updated and secure. This post explores essential maintenance tasks and how Kanopi can help.